I. Community Engagement
YES Prep Public Schools participates in community events to explain the admissions policies and lottery procedures to the public. Events are held either at a community-based location or on a YES Prep campus site. Events are sponsored either by YES Prep Public Schools or by an outside agency, such as Families Empowered. Families also receive information by calling the schools, visiting the campus websites, calling the central office, or visiting the district’s website.
II. Procedures Related to the Lottery
Parents and/or legal guardians can submit their child’s information for consideration to the YES Prep lottery by creating an account and completing the online application on their own, or by visiting a YES Prep campus to use a campus-based computer if necessary.
The following information must be supplied by applicants to be considered for admission:
|Applicant Information||Parent/Guardian Information||Sibling/Employee Information
- Online applications become available November 1, 2017 and the application period closes February 10, 2018
- Applications submitted after February 10 will be added to the waitlist
- Lottery is run February 16, 2018
- Notification will be available to families online on February 23, 2018
- Confirmation of Enrollment is due on March 29, 2018
- Welcome to YES Prep events are held starting in March through the end of May
- Space is held for confirmed yet no-show students until the last Friday in August
Students who are currently enrolled at a YES Prep campus do not need to submit an application for the following school year. Returning students are automatically enrolled into the subsequent school year.
When the lottery application submission period closes, applications are put into a randomized order and selected by random for admission to YES Prep. Within this process lies a set of prioritization levels that affect the randomized list:
- Children of eligible YES Prep employees receive priority admission (“Employee Priority”)
- Current YES Prep students with an approved transfer request receive priority admission ("YES Prep Transfer")
- Eligible sibling applicants, who do not have an active YES Prep expulsion on their school record, receive priority admission (“Sibling Priority”). Sibling applicants are defined as applicants that share at least one biological parent or one legal guardian with a current YES Prep student
- Applicants who reside in the priority zone for the YES Prep campus they are applying to ("Primary Zone Applicants")
- Applicants who reside outside the priority zone for the YES Prep campus they're applying to but within the YES Prep district zone ("Secondary Zone Applicants")
- Applicants who reside outside the YES Prep district zone
Procedures after the Lottery
After conducting the lottery, all applicants receive a status of Offered or Waitlisted. Applicants learn about their application status by visiting the YES Prep lottery website. Applicants who receive an offer from YES Prep MUST confirm or decline the offer online by March 29, 2018. Space will be held for confirmed yet no-show students until the last Friday in August.
If your child is not selected in the lottery process or you apply past the deadline, your child will be placed on a waitlist that follows the prioritization order stated above. If and when seats become available at your primary zoned campus, the campus will contact families in the ordered sequence from the waitlist. If your child is next on the waitlist, you will receive notification to offer your child the available seat.
If your child does receive acceptance to a YES Prep campus, and you would like to transfer them to a different YES Prep campus, you can submit a transfer application online and reach out to the Operations Manager of the campus they were originally accepted into to assess for transfer possibility. Transfer approval is based on seat availability at the campus you are hoping to move your child to.
Each YES Prep Public Schools campus has a primary zone where transportation is provided to students for that campus. When you fill out the application, the system will notify you of your primary zone, and which YES Prep campus provides transportation to your area. Transportation is provided to students who live more than 2 miles away from their primary-zoned campus. If you do not live in the primary zone of any one campus, our system will notify you that you live in the secondary zone and therefore, transportation will not be available to your child.
YES Prep Public Schools does not and will not discriminate in admissions based on gender, national origin, ethnicity, religion, disability, academic, artistic, or athletic ability, or the district the child would otherwise attend.