As we plan for returning to school at YES Prep, we recognize that this will still be an uncommon school year, but we remain committed to supporting your student’s learning, as well as his or her safety.
While it is not possible to eliminate all risk of furthering the spread of COVID-19, there are steps families and schools can take to significantly reduce the risks to students, teachers, staff, and their families. Outlined below are the procedures our campuses will have in place to prevent or mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and to respond if a positive case is identified.
While mask mandates are prohibited in Texas schools, Harris County Officials are urging everyone to wear face coverings while indoors or while in proximity closer than three feet where possible. At YES Prep we highly encourage the use of masks in all schools and facilities, whether individuals are vaccinated or not, to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
All students and staff are instructed to social distance at least three feet whenever possible.
Handwashing and Sanitizers
We will prioritize hand washing and will have hand sanitizer available throughout schools and facilities.
YES Prep schools will be cleaned on a regular schedule, giving special attention to high traffic and frequently touched surfaces.
Access to COVID-19 vaccines and testing
We will continue offering students on-campus vaccines, COVID testing and other healthcare and mental health support through Legacy Community Health and other partners. Additionally, those 12 and older wishing to receive a COVID-19 vaccine and rapid testing at no cost, may also find convenient locations at vaccines.gov. The vaccinations available have been proven to be highly effective against many strands and even if infected, are effective in preventing serious illness.
At-home family health screening
At YES Prep, we believe that we will be most successful in mitigating the spread of COVID-19 when we work together as a community. Before sending your student to school, please conduct an at-home family health screening each day to ensure that your student, and all YES Prep community members, stay safe and COVID-free.
Click on images below to download and print a copy for your home.
Confirmed Cases & Quarantining
If you learn that your child has tested positive for COVID-19, please notify your campus as soon as possible. Confirmed individuals should quarantine for 10 days regardless of being symptomatic or not.
- Must be reported to campus leadership
- If a student tests positive for COVID-19 the student should quarantine for 10 days regardless of being symptomatic or not. If displaying symptoms, the following will also be required before they return to school:
- 24 hours with no fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
- Other symptoms of COVID-19 are improving*
*Loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation.
Continuity of Learning
If students are sick, they should focus on getting well.
If students are well enough to work, they can stay caught up with material in the following ways:
- Elementary: Students can access lessons on Imagine Learning from home. Students and families can also pick up consumables as needed to complete at home. Families should consult Class Dojo for all communication.
- Secondary: Students can stay up to date with Schoology assignments, message their teachers as needed and work with their teachers to create a plan to catch up after their absence. Middle School students can use their Study Island accounts and High School students can use Khan Academy for additional work. Assessments will not be taken while absent.
YES Prep will notify parents/guardians of self-reported positive cases in schools and workspaces. YES Prep will communicate via e-mail or SchoolMessenger call with any information related to campus health and safety updates.
We know this virus brings many challenges, but our staff is ready and steadfast on our commitment to serve students in the safest way possible. We will continue to be responsive and communicate any changes to our health and safety protocols.
For more information related to back to school, please visit yesprep.org/backtoschool.