What is the Principal Pathway Residency?
The Principal Pathway Residency exists to build a bench of high-performing leaders who serve to fulfill the YES Prep mission and vision as a potential Principal, for both elementary and secondary schools. The Residency is a 1-2 year paid position that offers individualized development and coaching under the guidance of a campus Lead Principal and the YES Prep Leadership Development team.
Residents are developed through a cohort model that focuses on connecting data, relationships, ideas, and people. They will implement campus vision through management of the leadership team in partnership with the Lead Principal at their assigned campus.
Residents learn by doing and create a portfolio of resources that can be used once promoted into the Principal role. Additionally, the Resident cohort participates in a deep study of literature on equity, leadership, and instruction throughout the residency that grounds them in the work they do to ensure we increase student achievement.
Residents have an abundance of professional learning activities including a summer induction, midyear intersession, frequent coaching sessions, site visits, and experiential learning opportunities.
What are the requirements to be a YES Prep Resident Principal?
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- At least 2-3 years of experience as teacher of record
- At least 2 years in a Dean/Manager role within a K-12 setting by June 2022
- At least 1 year in a Director or Assistant Principal role with demonstrated performance at a high level by June 2022 (preferred)
- Has a track record of consistent high-performance in the leadership role they have held
- Demonstrated people management experience – directly managing an individual or full team(s)
- Must be willing to go to any assigned YES Prep campus in the greater Houston area
- Must be willing to commit to YES Prep for five years (if hired, Principal Residency is a one-two year commitment)
How can I be considered?
We are no longer accepting applications for the 22-23 school year.
We run a very selective process in November/December and then again, typically in January/February. We already completed two rounds of interviews for the 22-23 school year.
If you are interested in learning more about our organization and the role, feel free to review the info session recordings below that we previously held. All the information is still relevant, except for the timeline.
10.28.21: Virtual Info Session (1 of 2) @ 6:00 – 6:45 PM (recording here)
11.4.21: Virtual Info Session (2 of 2) @ 6:00 – 6:45 PM (recording here)
The start date for Resident Principals is the first week of July, with one week of summer induction starting June 13, 2022. Offers are typically made on a rolling basis starting as early as December, immediately following our first round of interviews. We have a limited number of openings and, as the year progresses, we may continue making additional offers through the start date in July.
Please see this front-and-back one-pager that includes most of the info on this webpage.
Do you have any further questions? Contact Neena Simon at Neena.Simon@yesprep.org.