What is the Principal Pathway Residency?
The Principal Pathway Residency exists to build a bench of high-performing, humble leaders who serve to fulfill the YES Prep mission and vision as a potential Principal. The Residency is a 1-2 year paid position that offers individualized development and coaching under the guidance of a campus Lead Principal and Head of Schools.
In this rigorous leadership development program, Residents are developed through a cohort model that focuses on connecting data, relationships, ideas, and people. They will implement campus vision through management of the leadership team in partnership with the Lead Principal at their assigned campus.
Residents learn by doing and create a portfolio of resources that can be used once promoted into the Principal role. Additionally, the Resident cohort participates in a deep study of literature on equity, leadership, and instruction throughout the residency that grounds them in the work they do to ensure we increase the number of students from underserved communities who graduate from college prepared to lead.
Residents have an abundance of professional learning activities including a summer induction, midyear intersession, coaching sessions, and experiential learning opportunities.
What are the requirements to be a YES Prep Resident Principal?
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- At least 2 years of experience as teacher of record
- At least 1 year in a Director or Assistant Principal role with demonstrated performance at a high level by June 2021
- Demonstrated management experience – managing a team and/or teams
- Not currently on a growth/improvement plan
- Must be willing to go to any assigned YES Prep campus
- Must be willing to commit to YES Prep through June 2026 (if hired; Principal Residency is a one-two year commitment)
How can I be considered?
We run a very selective process in October/November with a summer start date. Here is the selection timeline for the 2020-2021 school year.
The start date for Resident Principals is July 2021. Offers will be made on a rolling basis starting as early as December 2020.
Do you have any further questions? Contact Neena Simon at Neena.Simon@yesprep.org.